Monday, October 1, 2007

Cast your vote

In 2005 we chose Brown Ale and in 2006 Honey Porter so what will it be for 2007? The 3rd annual Sam Adams Beer Lovers Choice contest is coming to a close and the two new brews are going to be a tough choice for the voting public. This weekend at the Taste of Rhode Island in Newport, I got a chance to try both and I think it's going to be a very close race. On the one hand you have their Irish Style Red Ale made from pale and carmel malts that "give the beer it's rich, deep red color and distinctive flavor". On the other hand you can choose the Dunkelwiezen [translates as Dark Wheat] which is a traditional Bavarian wheat ale "brewed with traditional Bavarian yeast, which imparts a wide spectrum of flavors".

Prior to tasting either, I assumed I was going to vote for the Irish Red given my propensity for other Red's however after trying both I wasn't so sure. The Irish Red has a much more pronounced hop flavor than expected while the Dunkelwiezen was smoother and lighter [or as light as a dark ale can be] that I was anticipating. In the end I went with the Dunkelwiezen and given the past two winners darker color and flavor, I am expecting a Dark Wheat to be this years Beer Lovers Choice. If you haven't voted yet, there is still time and you can find the remaining polling locations online. Good luck to both candidates and let's make every year and election year!

No comments: